About Cummins Appliance
Nathan Cummins started the business February 20, 1928 as Cummins Hardware selling hardware and tires. The store was located at 3404 Reisterstown Road near Park Circle. In 1929 Cummins Hardware became one of the first Frigidaire refrigerator dealers in the country. Struggling through the depression, Cummins stopped selling tires in 1935. To compliment the hardware and appliance sales, Cummins expanded into kitchen sales in 1946. That same year, in order to better serve its customers, Cummins also started to repair appliances.
In October 1954, a second generation came into the business - Harvey Cummins. Shortly after Harvey entered the business, Cummins expanded into sales and service of central air conditioning. In 1959, the hardware line was dropped and the name became The Cummins Appliance Company. On November 25, 1963, the store was moved into the county at 311 Reisterstown Road.
May of 1980 brought the third generation into the business - Howard Cummins. Again new energy was injected into the business. The kitchen business was abandoned in 1988 to better focus on the air conditioning and appliance business.
Nathan Cummins, who had remained active in the business, passed away on April 5, 1991.
The business had again outgrown the store and on January 27, 1992, it was relocated to the present address of 1708 Reisterstown Road. The air conditioning business was dropped in 1994.
Harvey Cummins, who was largely responsible for the growth of Cummins Appliance over the past 55 years, passed away on March 28, 2009.
The business today is sales and service of appliances with an emphasis on full customer service.